Choose your wedding date and officiant. You will need to provide the officiant’s name and address when applying for your licence. You must get married within 90 days of obtaining your license, so get the timing right.

You can apply for your marriage license online but must appear in person to pick it up. You can also apply for it in person at any Service New Brunswick outlet.

Gather the necessary documents. You both need to prove your age and identity by presenting government-issued ID such as a valid passport or birth certificate. If you have been married before, you must prove that you are no longer married (final divorce document). If you are a widow or widower you must present a death certificate. If one of you is unable to go in person to get the license, you will also need a completed “Personal Attendance Excused” form (which can be obtained at Service New Brunswick).

Go to any Service New Brunswick outlet in New Brunswickt to pick up your license. The fee is $115. You will be asked to complete an affidavit, solemnly swear that the information you have provided is true and sign on the dotted line. You now have your license. There is no waiting period.

Give the license to your officiant. Then it’s on to the wedding ceremony.

Once you’ve sealed the deal with your I DOs (and a kiss!), your officiant will have you and your two witnesses sign two documents, the Statement of Marriage and the Registration of Marriage. The the latter document will be filed with the New Brunswick government. You will be given the “Statement of Marriage to keep,” but it’s not an official Marriage Certificate. If you want or need one of those, you will have to apply to Vital Statistics New Brunswick after your marriage is registered.

You must have 2 witnesses and anyone who is 19 years of age or older can be a witness.

Yes, they each charge $100.

I can be reached at 506-377-4994 or by email at IrwinLampert@gmail.com

These documents must be signed with the names indicated on your Marriage Licence in order to properly identify who was married. Note that this signature does not reflect your choice of marital surname, if you should decide to change it.

According to the “Prohibited Degrees of Consanguinity Barring Lawful Solemnization of Marriage in Canada,” a person cannot marry their: mother, daughter, sister, grandmother, granddaughter, father, son, brother, grandfather, grandson, or half-sister, or sister by adoption, or half-brother, or brother by adoption.

If you are 16 or 17 years old and have never married, your parents or guardians must sign an affidavit of consent.

No person under the age of 16 years may be married in Canada.

In order to marry without the consent of your parents or guardians, both you and your partner must have been previously married, or be at least 18 years of age.

Yes. As long as your application is in order, there is no waiting period; your marriage license will be issued immediately.

There is no specific time required by law. However, the earlier the better, to make sure I’m available.

That’s OK, so long as I’m available. There is no charge for this change.

Yes, at my cottage, but only between May 15th and September 30th.

Generally, about 10-15 minutes. However, it can be as long or as short as you wish! Your wedding, your choice.

Absolutely, as many as you like.

The ceremony will be planned with your input. Some parts are basic and are always included, such as the I DO’s. After that, I am open to suggestions. The ceremony can be serious, humorous or a bit of both. I am guided by what you want. There is no religious content!

Usually, a suit, tie, and dress shirt. However, if you want something less formal, I’ll accommodate your wishes.

Your choice. Whatever you feel comfortable in.

Absolutely! It’s your wedding, so we’ll plan it according to your wishes.

Yes , I am happy to do them and have already performed many.

After you have been married, you and/or your spouse may choose to assume a marital surname. You have several options, including:

Keeping your registered birth surname, which is the name listed on your birth certificate.
Keeping the surname you retained from a previous marriage, if it was used immediately prior to your present marriage.
Assuming the surname of your spouse.
Assuming a combination surname consisting of both your surnames, with or without a hyphen.

It should be noted that assuming a spouse’s surname after marriage does not alter your birth certificate. Since it doesn’t constitute a legal name change, no notice of a change in surname will be issued by Vital Statistics, or any other government office. However, you may use the Form 10 “Statement of Marriage” given to you by the Marriage Officiant to change your surname on other documentation, such as your provincial driver’s licence, vehicle registration or Medicare card. In order to do so, you will need to present your Statement of Marriage at your nearest Service New Brunswick service centre.

Please note that specific offices may require additional documentation to make these changes, and that you are responsible for contacting such offices to determine what additional documents (e.g. a birth, marriage, death or divorce certificate) must be presented in order for the change to be processed.

For more information, please call 1-888-762-8600.

My rates start at $500 but this rate can vary depending on where the wedding is to take place (what city, town or village) and your requirements. My fee includes HST. Please contact me to discuss.